From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Your own Processor running Gentoo
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:56:31
1 Deven Lahoti <deywos <at> mit.edu> writes:
4 > Gentoo has been ported to the RISC-V architecture, which you can run
5 > on an FPGA using Berkeley's free (as in freedom) implementation:
6 > https://github.com/palmer-dabbelt/riscv-gentoo
7 > https://github.com/ucb-bar/rocket-chip
8
9 All good to know. Have you actually installed Gentoo on a fpga dev-board
10 running any of the open source cores?
11 If so any blog, docs, or other postings or a how?
14 > the 4th annual RISC-V workshop was last week; hopefully the
15 > proceedings will be up soon.
16
17 Do post if you review them and have favourites or strong recommendations on
18 which ones to look at....
19
20 Has anyone using the j-core or any other fpga(gentoo) board been successful
21 at using (hardware) components from opencores.org on such hardware?
22
23 Is there a repo for Rics-v (SH) extra modules, advance ram (multiport) etc?
24
25 I did find this reference on the various patent-free similar projects::
26
27 https://lwn.net/Articles/647636/
28
29 I sure hope the SH-4 core is ready for testing? SMP and multiport ram
30 are of keen interest to me, to port some distributed cluster codes and
31 Distributed File Systems (OrangeFS) for performance testing. Is there a
32 gentoo channel or ML on these patent-free cores, gentoo-emebedded the
33 default channel?
34
35 Is there a default fpga board the gentoo community is using on these
36 superH/riscv/openrisc projects? SH4 does sound very interesting (with mmu).
37
38 > deven
39
40 Thanks very much for your response,