From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 22:00:20
1 Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 > I went with a couple of https://www.amazon.com/MZHOU-Profile-Bracket-Support-Converter/dp/B08L7W8QFT/ in a couple different sizes for two of my mass storage systems and they seem to be doing OK.
3 >
4 > The difference between the cheap vendors and the expensive vendors these days tends to be quality control. So plug it in, load it up, run it hard for a few hours. If it doesn't die relatively quickly you're usually good.
5 >
6 > Especially if you have RAID with checksums it's difficult for a controller to mangle things too badly even if it does have an issue.
7 >
8 > Remember: Data does not exist if it doesn't exist in at least three places. So you still want off-site backups in case your house burns down. Especially for irreplaceable things.
9 >
10 > If you have friends who also want off-site backups and you leave your machines running all the time then tahoe-lafs is pretty decent. For that matter they don't even have to really be friends, you really only have to be able to trust them to not selfishly hog all the space.
11 >
12 > I use BTRFS RAID1 for a lot of stuff. So far it's been pretty good at catching dropped bits and recovering from failures. It has a bit of the RAID issue where a drive could fail while you're doing a recovery since it only guarantees integrity with one dud drive regardless of the number of drives in the pool. But since each chunk is only written to two drives instead of spread across all of them the rebuild time stays relatively short and even if another drive does fail you'll only lose some of the data instead of all of it. This also means that the wasted space when your drives aren't all the same size is kept to a minimum.
13 >
14 > ZFS and similar are arguably better for larger arrays, but are also more hassle to set up.
15 >
16 > LVM is good for being able to swap out drives easily but with the modern, huge drives you really want data checksums if you can get them. Otherwise all it takes is a flipped bit somewhere to wreck your data and drive firmware doesn't always notice. I think you can do that with LVM, but I've never looked into it for certain.
17 >
18 > LMP
19
20 I looked at that card and read some of the reviews.  Some claim they had
21 issues but I suspect a driver problem.  Can you do a lspci -k and see
22 what driver it uses for that card on your system?  If yours works fine,
23 I'd want to use the same driver.
24
25 That is a lot of drives tho.  I need to build a NAS thingy.  lol
26
27 Dale
28