From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A tiny titillating taste of grub2
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 23:10:33
1 On 01/09/2011 01:11 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > walt wrote:
3
4 <my grub recipe book snipped for brevity>
5
6 > This sounds about as complicated as lilo.
7
8 Much more complicated, but also more nifty :)
9
10 > Is this going to end up like hal?
11
12 I certainly hope so!
13
14 > You know, so complicated that no one can use the thing and they have to start over again?
15
16 <rant>
17 This mess goes back to IBM's decision to use the Intel 8086 CPU in their
18 shiny new PC and then hire Bill Gates and Paul Allen to write/steal DOS.
19
20 The result was a brain-dead booting scheme which has been holding back the
21 Intel/x86 world to this very day. (But they all made a huge bundle of cash
22 along the way.)
23
24 Intel has been trying ever since to correct those early wrong choices by
25 inventing stuff like ACPI and EFI and GPT, et al, but it's been a long time
26 coming.
27
28 Meanwhile we have a truckload of hacks like lilo, grub1, grub2, syslinux, not
29 to mention M$ boot loaders, which morph with every new release of Windows.
30 </rant>
31
32 (Corrections to my historical mis-recollections are welcome, of course :)