From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer-1.0_rc2_p28058-r1 & USE dvdnav
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:43:33
1 On 22 Dec 2008, at 11:33, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > ...
3 > The problem was that the dvdnav USE-flag was masked and you unmasked
4 > the mplayer and dvdnav packages in the first place. This did not
5 > affect the mplayer package that was built without dvdnav support as
6 > the flag was still deactivated. Here [1] is some information from the
7 > maintainer of mplayer.
8
9 Yes, although I did understand this already. With apologies to Mr Wong
10 I find your explanation much clearer than his.
11
12 I would prefer it if Portage handled this without USE flag masking
13 being necessary. If the required package is masked, or needs some
14 other keyword, then IMO `emerge -p mplayer` should simply give an
15 "unable to fulfil this USE - packages may be masked or keyworded"
16 error. IMO `emerge mplayer` should simply install the package without
17 fulfilling the USE. But clearly there are reasons why this is
18 impractical.
19
20 Stroller.