From: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want a low-end usb laser printer with minimal config hassle
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 21:57:00
1 On 12/07/2018 01:46 PM, Manuel McLure wrote:
2
3 > The main thing you want to look for is PCL and/or PostScript compatibility.
4 > And I'd highly recommend getting a networked printer that supports Port
5 > 9100 instead of a USB one - this allows you to use the same printer for all
6 > of your systems.
7
8 Seconded!
9
10 You will get a lot more milage out of a network pcl/ps printer than one
11 that isn't for instance my printer no longer works with USB as drivers
12 aren't made for newer os but I can still use network pcl/ps to print.
13
14 My advice is to buy a used HP laserjet 4300 which is a nice usb/network
15 pcl/ps printer and get third party toner carts.
16
17 hp 4300 model names explained:
18 d = duplexer
19 s = stapler/stacker (2nd output tray with an automatic stapler)
20 t = 2nd tray
21 n = network
22 (dtns is the highest end model as it has all 4 upgrades but they can
23 also be bought individually)
26 Buying new printers especially the cheap models is a suckers bet due to
27 the high consumables costs, the printers themselves being cheaply made
28 and sold for less than the cost of production with the money being made
29 back with overpriced ink and toner - newer models also frequently have a
30 "security" feature that prevents the use of "dangerous" third party
31 toner/ink.