From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone succeeded with kmail2?
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 06:11:39
1 On 04/01/13 01:09, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 >
3 > On 3/1/2013, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 09:43 +0000
5 >> Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >>> When kmail was upgraded to 4.9.3 last month it made a complete hash
7 >>> of my e- mail system. In the end I moved my user out of the way and
8 >>> created a new user. Importing the e-mails from a backup of the old
9 >>> version omitted large numbers of e-mails, including a lot of complete
10 >>> folders. I also noticed that kmail had not created a trash folder.
11 >>
12 >> So the kdepim devs STILL haven't fixed that one? Oh dear.
13 >
14 > --->8
15 >
16 > Thanks for your thoughts Alan. I didn't like Claws much last time I
17 > tried it, but then that was some time ago.
18 >
19 > Does anyone recommend a mail client that doesn't rely too heavily on the
20 > mouse? I much prefer to navigate, reply etc with the keyboard. I've
21 > seen Evolution recommended; is that OK?
22 >
23 > Meanwhile I'm having to use my ISP;s webmail service.
26 I used evolution for years (since something like 0.4!) until about a
27 month ago when I gave up and moved to thunderbird. I have a mixture of
28 local (courier imap), exchange and other imap accounts.
29
30 Evolution has some weird bugs and in general doesn't work when accessing
31 some imap backends alongside other clients to the same account (emails
32 may be deleted on my desktop, but get undeleted on next access from the
33 laptop is one), as well as issues with its calendaring. Its
34 frustrating, and been getting worse. As well, I am now in active gnome
35 squashing mode since Ive decided to not buy into the whole
36 udev/systemd/gnome3 mess in the future so it became an easy choice that
37 evolution had to go :)
38
39 Thunderbird in comparison has been much nicer. Two problems I have
40 though are it seems to fragment memory (on a 32bit system) causing
41 suspend to fail on one system, and while its quite happily remembering
42 my email passwords, it refuses to do so for the calendar passwords when
43 connecting to a radicale backend (well it remembers them, but pops up a
44 cancel/ok dialog for confirmation on every calendar on first starting
45 thunderbird - maybe due to a prematurely squashed gnome whose function
46 needs restoring?
47
48 BillK