From: Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange [ file
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:45:26
1 On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 02:14:02 -0700
2 Richard Fish wrote:
3
4 > On 7/25/06, Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > I've seen a file named "[" in my /usr/bin ...
8 >
9 > Perfectly normal. It is a program that implements bash style tests
10 > for script environments that don't normally do them. For example:
11 >
12 > if [ -f /etc/passwd ] ; then
13 > echo "/etc/passwd exists and is a regular file"
14 > fi
15 >
16 > Notice the "[" after the "if"....
17 >
18 > "man test" will give you the user manual for it.
19
20 Thanks, I'll take a look right now.
21
22 > More generally, merge gentoolkit, and you can use equery to find out
23 > where things come from. Ex:
24
25 > ~ > equery belongs "/usr/bin/["
26 [...]
27 sure, but I supposed that if it was a strange file, it could come from
28 a corrupt source from coreutils. (I already looked for it with
29 equery, but its strange name make me confused).
30
31 I have a periodically rkhunter runnig in my system, but I was afraid I
32 got a corrupted source package...
33
34 > -Richard
35
36 even though answering only to Richard, thanks to all who answered my
37 question!
38
39 Cheers!
42 Arnau Bria
43 http://blog.emergetux.net
44 La vida es una aplastante derrota tras otra hasta que
45 acabas deseando que se muera Flanders.
46 ~Homer J. Simpson~
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list