From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Weird graphical glitches after world update
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 01:49:24
1 On 11/21/2013 01:38 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 21/11/2013 17:10, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
4 >>> Greetings,
5 >>>
6 >>> I spent a chunk of yesterday updating world on my machines (2 file
7 >>> servers and 1 netbook) and with some effort, the updates went through. I
8 >>> had to go out today so I rebooted my netbook and I started noticing
9 >>> weird graphical glitches in certain applications, as if parts of the
10 >>> screen weren't updating, namely in urxvt and emacs. In urxvt, my shell
11 >>> prompt seems to not render the cursor and often keeps the letters I
12 >>> remove still on the prompt (only graphically, they aren't actually
13 >>> there). This is extremely annoying.
14 >>>
15 >>> It's also terrible in emacs: cursor sometimes doesn't get rendered and I
16 >>> get tons of artefacts from different buffers when I switch or from text
17 >>> I was editing. You can find an example image of such glitches in emacs
18 >>> at [1]. This is absolutely tragic for me as I spend majority of my time
19 >>> in emacs. I'd like to note that I'm running emacs in a graphical frame
20 >>> and not in a terminal.
21 >>
22 >> A quick note to say that you are not alone, I get this as well since
23 >> about 6 weeks ago (a ~amd system). So it's not something you and just
24 >> you managed to do, I got it as well.
25 >>
26 >> In my case it's as if the system's idea of what is on the screen is off
27 >> by one row of pixels. I get a stray row of dots at the top of lines that
28 >> correspond to the risers of glyphs on the previous line, and new
29 >> underscores don't show up until I enter a newline.
30 >>
31 >> This is a mostly KDE system using konsole, so it's not the terminal
32 >> emulator or editor that's the root cause.
35 > Some may recall I have posted about similar issues in the past. Heck, I
36 > still do when I upgrade the drivers. I'm stuck using a older driver but
37 > still run into the issue every once in a while.
38 >
39 > The biggest giveaway for me is that my clock is stuck. I have mine set
40 > to show seconds and it either stops or the time sort of jumps several
41 > seconds at a time.
42 >
43 > It's weird but as Alan said, it is not just you. You got plenty of
44 > company on this one.
45
46 One other possibility is that xorg updated something that broke some
47 video drivers. Maybe "qlop -l xorg" would give you a hint about when
48 your video problem first appeared?