From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual booting with Windows 10
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:53:10
1 On Monday, 18 September 2017 05:17:34 BST R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Thursday, 14 September 2017 19:51:37 BST R0b0t1 wrote:
5 > >> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 3:20 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
6 > >
7 > > wrote:
8 > >> > On Thursday, 14 September 2017 05:09:14 BST R0b0t1 wrote:
9 > >> >> The trickiest part is still the same - going from GRUB or, now, your
10 > >> >> EFI shell, to Window's bootloader. See here:
11 > >> >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Chainloading_Windows.2FLin
12 > >> >> ux_
13 > >> >> ins talled_in_UEFI_mode.
14 > >> >
15 > >> > That advice, though helpful, is about Grub, which isn't installed on
16 > >> > this box. I did try at first to get it to work here, but failed, so I
17 > >> > removed it and went for bootctl. It's a fiddle to keep up to date
18 > >> > with
19 > >> > kernel upgrades, but at least it works.
20 > >>
21 > >> In that case it seems like systemd-boot will check for the Windows
22 > >> loader and add it to its menu automatically
23 > >> (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-boot#Adding_boot_entries)
24 > >> .
25 > >> As above, you may need to reinstall it if the Windows bootloader
26 > >> installs itself on top of systemd-boot.
27 > >>
28 > >> I originally thought you were just booting an EFI stub kernel, in
29 > >> which case you would have needed some kind of boot manager.
30 > >
31 > > I have three questions now:
32 > >
33 > > 1. Will Windows 10 install itself in the unpartitioned space? I've
34 > > attached a screen shot of gparted to show the current layout.
35 >
36 > Yes. It will split the free space into a number of partitions if you
37 > give the installer no further instruction besides selecting the
38 > unallocated area.
39
40 That's what I was hoping to hear - thanks.
41
42 > To force Windows to use one partition delete the ones it creates
43 > automatically. You will need to select "custom" or "advanced" in every
44 > place it is offered as an option.
45 >
46 > > 2. What will happen to the UEFI kernel entries in /dev/nvme0n1p1?
47 >
48 > When people say "entries" they are usually referring to settings in
49 > the nonvolatile memory used by a motherboard's EFI firmware. An entry
50 > associates with an ID a path, priority, and name which is used to
51 > start the corresponding EFI executable.
52
53 I mean the things that "bootctl status" displays. I've already disabled the
54 unwanted ones in the UEFI BIOS's list of bootable kernels, but bootctl still
55 shows them and won't remove them.
56
57 > The actual kernels on /dev/nvme0np1 will remain there because Windows
58 > won't touch that partition unless you tell it to.
59 >
60 > > 3. Those entries include some left over from experimenting with
61 > > other distros. How can I manage the entries and purge the ones I don't
62 > > need? "Bootctl remove" ignores them.
63 >
64 > If you are referring to the kernels left in your /boot then simply
65 > delete them. "Bootctl remove" and other EFI boot managers I have seen
66 > refuse to touch your disk. They operate on the EFI configuration
67 > memory.
68 >
69 > > Thanks everyone for your help so far.
70 > >
71 > > I don't want to install into a VM, because my main reason for installing
72 > > Win10 is to be able to run an occasional firmware update program, none
73 > > of
74 > > which, it seems, run on Linux. Of course, it should also help me get up
75 > > to speed with the M$ world.
76 >
77 > If you pass an entire hard disk to the VM you can then take it out and
78 > put it in another computer and boot it (or boot it in the same
79 > computer sans hypervisor).
80
81 Maybe that's a use for a couple of spare SSDs I have here.
82
83 > With Linux you can pass partitions in individually and use what the
84 > guest thinks is a raw character device as a disk, so that if you
85 > wanted to boot that installation from outside of the hypervisor you
86 > could. This might not be possible with Windows.
87 >
88 > If you install into a VM you can pass almost everything to the VM
89 > directly. I suppose the only thing that may not work extremely well
90 > would be motherboard firmware updates, but if you look QEMU has
91 > options to pass almost everything in a computer to a VM. Admittedly
92 > this isn't a very plug-and-play solution.
93 >
94 > Aside from firmware updates (realize though that almost everything -
95 > barring some low level interfaces like I2C - can be passed to a VM) I
96 > would invite you to use Windows only in a VM. I find it easier to get
97 > work done in this way while using Windows programs. Xfreerdp is a good
98 > way to interact with a Windows guest and can provide better desktop
99 > integration than QEMU or libvirtd.
100
101 I use VirtualBox here, mostly because some BOINC projects require it.
102
103 Thanks, R0b0t1.
106 Regards,
107 Peter.