From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Gentoo system has become unstable and unusable - help, please!
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:25:01
1 On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > On 12 Feb, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 >> Hi, Gentoo,
5 >>
6 >> My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
9 > Just one more reason.
10 >
11 > Have you got more than 4 Gb RAM installed?
12 >
13 > If yes, you might have to reduce memory speed.
14 > Some CPUs (among them AMD Phenom) have difficulties
15 > at the specified RAM speed if more than 1 memory bank is
16 > installed.
17 > I have been burnt by that several times.
18 > Helmut.
19
20 I had exactly the situation you described. 4 GB of RAM worked great at
21 800MHz but when I increased to 8 GB I had to lower speed to something
22 like 533 MHz otherwise system was very unstable. In my case Intel Core
23 2 Duo E6600. I contacted the RAM manufacturer and this was their
24 recommendation as well.