From: Tomas Mozes <tomas.mozes@××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fresh gen too install - unsuccesful
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 05:29:00
1 On 2014-12-20 00:57, German wrote:
2 > Just a follow up to my original question. I've installed grub on
3 > /dev/SDA literally following the quide. And I just realized why I made
4 > /dev/sda1 partition obviously designed for grub? Should I have been
5 > install grub into /dev/sda1? I also have uefi system and I think it
6 > matters. Thanks everyone for clarifications
7 >
8 > German <gentgerman@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >
10 >> Is anyone can advice on where to dig. It seems that grub isn't
11 >> installed because I can't access it pressing ESC key and I return to
12 >> bios. During installation there were no errors reported, the system
13 >> installed grub just fine. Also grub.cfg found all my kernels and
14 >> ramdisks? Thanks for any suggestion. What would you do?
15
16 If you have your /dev/sda only for Gentoo, you would install grub into
17 /dev/sda and have /dev/sda1 for /boot, for example:
18 /dev/sda1: /boot
19 /dev/sda2: /
20
21 The bios will load grub from mbr of /dev/sda and since you specify that
22 grub can find it's stuff on /dev/sda1 (root), it can continue to find
23 the kernel, etc.. Once found, it can load the kernel and mount root,
24 because it's the kernel parameter.
25
26 For example:
27 root(hd0,0)
28 setup (hd0)
29
30 Check out
31 http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/grub.html#Installing-GRUB-natively
32
33 Or for grub2:
34 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2
35 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Bootloader
36 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB
37 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
38
39 You can also have your /boot and / on the same partition.