From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What to set in kernel for hi-res console terminal
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:48:08
1 On Monday 17 Jul 2017 00:06:53 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 16 Jul 2017 17:46:11 R0b0t1 wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > I'm starting a new vbox install of gentoo using the minimal ISO from
5 > > > 07/13
6 > > >
7 > > > When it gets to the kernel setup... I cannot figure out what to set
8 > > > to make my console terminal high resolution. Something along the line
9 > > > of 1600x1200.
10 > > >
11 > > > I understand this can all be done in the kernel now. But cannot
12 > > > really get a good fix googling on what is needed there.
13 > >
14 > > I was unable to figure this out either - can you comment on whether or
15 > > not Mick's suggestions work for you? The documentation I followed
16 > > about a year ago didn't seem to work.
17 > >
18 > > I assume your goal is to have VTs that look like they do on Ubuntu, etc?
19 >
20 > Found it! Have a look at your kernel documentation, which refers to the VGA
23 > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/svga.txt
24 >
25 > I couldn't find anything about changing the display mode with modesetting
26 > though.
27
28 Something else to play with if you are booting with GRUB. Drop to the GRUB
29 command line and run:
30
31 vbeinfo
32
33 I assume these will be used for booting too, not just the GRUB menu, but I am
34 not sure.
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick