From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Wayland - too early to try?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 15:25:38
1 On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2017-07-11 09:02, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> > I use GNOME with Wayland for some time and I actually didn't notice
5 >> > that I switched until I tried to get synergy working ( mouse sharing
6 >> > software, which only works on X ), seems like GDM automatically
7 >> > chose Wayland since some upgrade. XWayland works pretty seamlessly
8 >> > as well, so I'll just stay with Wayland for now, but it might be
9 >> > more annoying to use it with other DEs/WMs.
10 >
11 >> > However, I have less screen tearing with fullscreen applications
12 >> > with Wayland than I had with X ( with radeon + mesa ).
13 >
14 >> My sense is that this is probably what people would see. It will
15 >> probably work fine for any of the major DEs, but you'll find these
16 >> little cases of tools that aren't ported. One BIG area that will be
17 >> affected is X11 forwarding. I'm not sure if that works over ssh or
18 >> not with wayland, but wayland in general doesn't support network
19 >> sockets.
20 >
21 > What about "3rd party" window managers like openbox? From my limited
22 > understanding of wayland, that functionality just goes out of the window
23 > (OOPS, sorry); window management becomes a responsibility of the toolkit
24 > and there is no way to plug in a different one.
25
26 I'm going out on a limb a bit here, but my understanding is not so
27 much that it is impossible for arbitrary applications to talk to
28 wayland (that seems silly - it is just an API). Rather, the major
29 toolkits simply have already done all the hard work so that if you use
30 one of those toolkits then your application will work.
31
32 I'm sure there is no reason an application that doesn't use qt/gtk/etc
33 couldn't just make direct calls to wayland. However, it will require
34 a lot more porting work on the part of upstream, and so it probably
35 won't happen quickly.
36
37 In the same way an application written to use QT probably can be made
38 to work on OSX or Windows with very little additional work, because
39 the toolkits provide a single API across all the platforms. You could
40 write an application that works on all these platforms without using a
41 toolkit, but then the developer needs to maintain all the API
42 abstraction.
43
44 Getting back to openbox/etc, I suspect that you have a couple of extremes here:
45
46 * Full-fledged DEs like Gnome/KDE. They have a ton of functionality
47 that would be impacted by Wayland, but they also use toolkits that
48 have probably already taken care of this.
49 * Very minimal window managers (think fvwm/twm/etc). They may not use
50 a toolkit that was ported, but on the other hand their functionality
51 is minimal and porting might not be so hard. Also, there seems to be
52 some effort to port more minimal toolkits like motif to wayland.
53 * In-between environments (think xfce, openstep, etc). They don't
54 benefit from the toolkit but still have a lot of functionality to
55 port. I heard that xfce is being ported to gtk for just this reason.
56
57 I suspect that Wayland is going to drive adoption of gtk/qt much more
58 widely. For the effort of directly porting to Wayland you could just
59 port to gtk and then get coverage on other platforms as well.
62 > Or does xwayland help with that? I'll be grateful for an explanation of
63 > this area, as I'm worried about the future of the X server but I'm also
64 > married to openbox.
67 I suspect that xwayland would cover some of this, but I haven't messed
68 with either.
71 Rich