From: Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hard drive encryption
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:59:10
1 On 03/11/2012 02:29 PM, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 11.03.2012 16:38, schrieb Valmor de Almeida:
3 >>
4 >> Hello,
5 >>
6 >> I have not looked at encryption before and find myself in a situation
7 >> that I have to encrypt my hard drive. I keep /, /boot, and swap outside
8 >> LVM, everything else is under LVM. I think all I need to do is to
9 >> encrypt /home which is under LVM. I use reiserfs.
10 >>
11 >> I would appreciate suggestion and pointers on what it is practical and
12 >> simple in order to accomplish this task with a minimum of downtime.
13 >>
14 >> Thanks,
15 >>
16 >> --
17 >> Valmor
21 > Is it acceptable for you to have a commandline prompt for the password
22 > when booting? In that case you can use LUKS with the /etc/init.d/dmcrypt
23
24 I think so.
25
26 > init script. /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt should contain some examples. As you
27 > want to encrypt an LVM volume, the lvm init script needs to be started
28 > before this. As I see it, there is no strict dependency between those
29 > two scripts. You can add this by adding this line to /etc/rc.conf:
30 > rc_dmcrypt_after="lvm"
31 >
32 > For creating a LUKS-encrypted volume, look at
33 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/DM-Crypt
34
35 Currently looking at this.
38 > You won't need most of what is written there; just section 9,
39 > "Administering LUKS" and the kernel config in section 2, "Assumptions".
40 >
41 > Concerning downtime, I'm not aware of any solution that avoids copying
42 > the data over to the new volume. If downtime is absolutely critical, ask
43 > and we can work something out that minimizes the time.
44 >
45 > Regards,
46 > Florian Philipp
49 Since I am planning to encrypt only home/ under LVM control, what kind
50 of overhead should I expect?
51
52 Thanks,
55 Valmor