From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Courier Sub-addressing
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 12:52:44
1 On 5/21/20 4:14 PM, Ashley Dixon wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I am attempting to set up sub-addressing on my Courier mail server, allowing
5 > senders to directly deliver messages to a particular folder in my mailbox. For
6 > example, I want to provide my University with the address
7 > `ash-AcademicMatters@××××××××××.uk` to force all their messages into the
8 > "AcademicMatters" subdirectory.
9 >
10 > Unfortunately, I can't find any official Courier documentation regarding
11 > sub-addressing. I have found [1], however I'm not sure it will apply as I am
12 > using virtual mailboxes.
13 >
14 > When attempting to send e-mail to myself using sub-addressing, my server
15 > complains that the address is not found in the virtual users table, suggesting
16 > that it is entirely unaware of the sub-addressing notation.
17 >
18 > Has anyone here managed to get this working ? I believe it is sometimes referred
19 > to as "plus-addressing", however it seems that Courier uses a hyphen as opposed
20 > to a plus symbol (+).
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 > Ashley.
24 >
25 > [1] https://www.talisman.org/~erlkonig/misc/courier-email-subaddressing/
28 Hello Ashley,
29
30 Yes, but with mail-client/Thunderbird. The tricks (with thunderbird) are
31 mostly related to how you set up your filters, and the order of the filters.
32
33 On thunderbird the 'message filters' under the three horizontal bars on
34 the top right of the base screen, is the starting point. Then I have to
35 click various selections, sometimes 2 or 3 times. It's tricky with
36 thunderbird and filtering incoming mail, ymmv.
37
38 No clue on a courier mail server. BUT, I'd be most interested in
39 testing/verifying what you come up with, as thunderbird is a very
40 bloated pig of an app. And I'm looking for a unified system where email,
41 broweser-links, local edited files (vi/vim/etc) and browser saved files
42 and links are all unified into one 'common-logical' viewer/storage
43 renders the various way we can save data, whether local or net-based
44 resources. I'd be most interested in *any* unifying scheme,
45 gentoo-centric. 30++ years of linux/bsd/linux has given me a very rich
46 source of resources, docs and wonderful emails. But data-harvesting
47 needs a modern approach.
50 /usr/portage/mail-* does not have many robust and secure options. I've
51 even thought about returning to a sendmail server, as a unifying start,
52 but that's probably not a wise idea.
53
54 Do post your findings, as I'm sure others would appreciate a robust
55 (gentoo) solution, particularly if the feature list supports cell phones
56 (android and/or apple cell phones) and those text/emails.
59 hth,
60 James