From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Another USE question
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 07:03:03
1 On Wednesday 27 May 2009 04:23:13 Keith Dart wrote:
2 > On May 26, 2009, at 6:41 PM, Dale wrote:
3 > > Memorized all of what? Open a text editor and edit make.conf. What
4 > > do
5 > > you need to memorize? If you use KDE, you can edit them with kwrite
6 > > which is about as easy as it gets. Heck, I been using Gentoo for
7 > > years
8 > > and I don't recall ever using ufed.
9 >
10 > Editing make.conf is easy, knowing what to put in it is the hard part.
11 > what are all the possible flag names you can enter? There are
12 > hundreds. What do they all mean? How does enabling or disabling a
13 > particular use flag effect the build of all packages that use it?
14 > Which packages share a use flag? Which flags are mutually exclusive?
15 > Which ones are enabled by default, that you want disabled?
16 >
17 > There is much more involved than simply editing a file.
18
19 Yes, you normally also need to run euse as well
20
21 And the output of that command is everything your box knows about a flag short
22 of looking inside every ebuild
25 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com