From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to fix license error during install?
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 07:29:55
1 On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 22:18:47 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
2
3 > > > * IMPORTANT: 7 config files in '/etc/portage' need updating.
4 > > > * See the CONFIGURATION FILES and CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
5 > > > * sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config
6 > > > files.
7 > >
8 > > Well, you need to change your config files as portage asked you to do
9 > > before proceeding. There are several utilities to do that, I use
10 > > etc-update, but there are several others.
11 >
12 > The Handbook does not say to make any configuration changes. That
13 > seems safe to me since I have no idea what changes to make.
14
15 You have an instruction from portage that starts with IMPORTANT, and
16 tells you where to learn how to do what it asks. Generally, when portage
17 talks to you like this, you should take notice.
18
19 Portage does not overwrite config files in /etc, instead it creates a
20 temporary file containing the new version so that you can manage the
21 changes with etc-update or equivalent. Your licence file changes have
22 been handled in this way and it is up to you to complete the final step
23 to apply those changes.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Mac screen message: "Like, dude, something went wrong."