From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are the video files there, or aren't they?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:35:01
1 On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 15:30 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > I've had a lot of problems with X today. I finally got X back up, but
3 > when I went to check MythTV, it didn't work. I started tracking down
4 > the problem. I went into mythtv-setup and it said that it couldn't find
5 > any video inputs, so I examined /dev/v4l/video0. What I found was
6 > really confusing:
7 >
8 > camille ~ # ls -l /dev/v4l
9 > total 0
10 > crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 64 Feb 18 09:20 radio0
11 > crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 224 Feb 18 09:20 vbi0
12 > crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 Feb 18 09:20 video0
13 > crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 24 Feb 18 09:20 video24
14 > crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 32 Feb 18 09:20 video32
15 > camille ~ # cat /dev/v4l/video0
16 > cat: /dev/v4l/video0: No such device or address
19 > Is it there, or isn't it? I don't know if it matters, but when I was
20 > trying to fix the X problem, I built and booted with a new kernel:
21
22 This is most likely completely unrelated to your issues with X. This is
23 a problem with your tuner card or its drivers.
24
25 If you compiled a new kernel did you remember to re-compile any
26 out-of-tree kernel modules? Are you sure the tuner drivers have the
27 correct (versions of) firmware to load? Did you check dmesg?
28
29 -a