From: Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice/best practices for a new Gentoo installation
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:25:15
1 > - be aware of cylinder boundaries when partitioning (thanks to the
2 > recent thread)
3
4 +1
5
6 > - utilizing device labels and/or volume labels instead of hoping
7 > /dev/sda stays /dev/sda always
8
9 +1
10
11 > - initrd - I've never used one, but maybe it's needed if root is on
12 > software RAID?
13
14 It's not technically needed and boot times are faster without them.
15 I'm a fan of statically compiled kernels too but that's more to
16 prevent malicious LKMs.
17
18 > - grub/kernel parameter tips and tricks... i'm already using uvesafb,
19 > and don't dual-boot with MSWin or anything, just Gentoo
20 > - better partitioning scheme than my current root, boot, home (need
21 > portage on its own, maybe /var as well?)
22
23 putting portage on it's on partition is a good idea imo, I usually use
24 reiserfs because it handles large amounts of small files well.
25
26 > - some kind of small linux emergency/recovery partition? equivalent to
27 > a liveCD maybe.
28
29 I usually keep a bootable usb in my bag for recovery, which also works
30 if there is a problem with the disk/raid.
31
32 > - best filesystem for portage? something compressed or with small
33 > cluster size maybe.
34
35 reiserfs
36
37 > - SSD vs 10000rpm vs big-and-cheap hard drive for rootfs/system files.
38 > I lean toward the latter since RAM caches it anyway.
39
40 SSDs can make things snappier for boot times. Having lots of ram for
41 disk cache eliminates the benefit after booted since ram is even
42 faster than a SSD.
43
44 > - omit/reduce number of reserved-for-root blocks on partitions where
45 > it's not necessary.
46
47 I never get close to filling my disks so never have bothered with this
48
49 > - I have never used LVM and don't really know about it. Should I use
50 > it? will it make life easier someday? or more difficult?
51
52 I'm not a fan, if you don't plan on changing your partition sizes I
53 don't see a lot of utility in adding the extra layer of complexity.
54
55 > - Is RAID5 still a good balance for disk cost vs usable space vs data
56 > safety? I can't/don't want to pay for full mirroring of all disks.
57
58 It's better than no raid but as you probably know it will only allow
59 for a single disk failure. Getting drives from different lots (but
60 same geometry) is recommended.
63 Kyle