From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert wmv to mp4?
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 17:48:32
1 On 1 May 2012, at 16:52, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > I'm looking around on the web for ways to convert wmv files to mp4. So
4 > far the most common solution seems to be ffmpeg but when I try that it
5 > doesn't seem to understand the video files. The most common type of
6 > comment people give is that this should be straight forward if 32-bit
7 > codecs are installed. I'm running 64-bit and don't see what flags I
8 > might need to set to get that?
9
10 It's worth telling us *why* you want to do this. It may be better if you can avoid this conversion.
11
12 .mp4 is a container format and wikipedia tells me that WMV is a codec, but that .wmv files are usually WMV codec wrapped in an ASF container.
13
14 Since .mp4 video most always means h264 encoding, this means slow and dirty transcoding, which will inherently cause loss of video quality. You want to avoid transcoding if you can.
15
16 http://html5.xoofoo.org/video.html
17 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Video
18