From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NFS poor performance, high system load
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:02:38
1 On Nov 23, 2009, at 8:11 PM, Hal Martin wrote:
2
3 > Hello all,
4 >
5 > Sorry if it seems like this is a repeat question, but I've gone
6 > through
7 > my Gentoo list for the past 2 years and none of the answers provided
8 > for
12 > /etc/exports:
13 > /mnt/daigo 192.168.0.31(rw,insecure)
16 A couple of years ago, I experienced the same type of issue where nfs
17 performance was a lot lower than smb. It turned out a switch I was
18 using was bad. I suggest first minimizing your testing network, and
19 then swapping components such as switches. Others on the LinuxMCE
20 list had issues with specific network drivers.
21
22 I current use nfs between kubuntu, gentoo, and macbook (10.5.8 2GHz
23 Core 2 Duo) systems. I have media volumes on the kubuntu, and both
24 gentoo systems. I use autofs on each system for mounting the nfs
25 volumes. Here's an example of the settings:
26
27 /etc/exports:
28 /var/media
29 192.168.80.0/24(async,no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash,insecure)
30
31 /etc/auto.media:
32 royw-gentoo -rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,timeo=30,rw royw-gentoo:/
33 var/media
34 dad-kubuntu -rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,timeo=30,rw dad-kubuntu:/
35 var/media
36
37 My macbook "Connect to Server":
38 nfs://royw-gentoo/var/media/public/data
39 nfs://dad-kubuntu/var/media/public/data
40
41 The no_subtree_check and the no_root_squash parameters are left over
42 from when I used LinuxMCE.
43
44 The insecure parameter is required to allow the macbook to connect.
45
46 The rsize and wsize seem to work fine for streaming dvd iso images to
47 my gentoo XBMC system over gigabit ethernet. I've also streamed a few
48 movies to my macbook and did not notice any performance issues.
49
50 My media drives are WDC WD10EACS (1TB).
51
52 How are you testing performance? With test procedure I can try to
53 duplicate.
54
55 HTH,
56 Roy