From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem recommendation for external media storage
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:41:56
1 Am 26.06.2013 16:22, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On 26/06/2013 15:09, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >> Hi list
4 >>
5 >> By chance I found an external 3 TB disk for a bargain and now I’m planning its
6 >> partitioning. I am thus looking for a filesystem that doesn’t necessarily
7 >> need file permissions to function, the reason being that I might want to take
8 >> the disk to other people in order to copy files around. That’s why I don’t
9 >> really want to use ext4 (my FS of choice for everything else).
10 >>
11 [...]
12 >>
13 >> Windows compatibility is not a must, but a nice-to-have. That would reduce my
14 >> remaining choices to ExFAT, I presume.
17 BTW: What's the Linux status on that one?
20 > That's how I see it too.
21 >
22 > I used to use ext4 for external media but quickly found that my notebook
23 > was the only box that could use them...
26 Isn't group id 100 defined as the users group on most Linuxen nowadays?
27
28 chgrp 100 $mount && chmod 2777 $mount
29
30 should work reasonably well.
31
32 Regards,