From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The difference between 'emerge --update xyz' and 'emerge xyz'
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:30:14
1 Am 28.03.2011 16:50, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
2 > Hello list!
3 >
4 > Please bear awhile with the Gento n00b here...
5 >
6 > If I have a package 'xyz-1.1.0' already installed, and there's a newer
7 > 'xyz-1.2.0', what's the difference between 'emerge --update xyz' and
8 > 'emerge xyz'?
9 >
10 > The latter I saw also pulled in and installed the latest version. So,
11 > I am confused as to the difference.
12 >
13 > Thank you for your explanation.
14 >
15 > Rgds,
19 A simple `emerge xyz` re-emerges xyz even if no update is necessary.
20
21 Additionally, it adds the package xyz to your @world set. That is a list
22 of packages that you want to keep. If xyz has been installed only
23 because it is a dependency of another package and it is not part of
24 @world, `emerge --depclean` would uninstall the package when it is no
25 longer needed.
26
27 As an example:
28 Lets say, you install gnome-base/gnome. This will pull in all kinds of
29 packages (the whole Gnome desktop environment). Now you decide to remove
30 gnome. Then you can call `emerge --depclean gnome` to remove gnome
31 itself and then `emerge --depclean` to get rid of everything else that
32 is no longer needed.
33
34 If you want to re-emerge a package no matter if there is an update or
35 not but you do not want to add it to your @world set, call `emerge
36 --oneshot xyz` or shorter: `emerge -1 xyz`. For example, this is
37 necessary if xyz is a kernel module and you just installed ner kernel
38 sources.
39
40 A few notes:
41 Your @world set is contained in /var/lib/portage/world. You can edit
42 this file directly to remove or add packages.
43
44 `emerge --depclean <package>` only removes the package if it is no
45 longer needed by other packages. This is safer than calling `emerge
46 --clean <package>`.
47
48 Do not call `emerge --depclean` on its own. Call `emerge --ask --verbose
49 --depclean` or shorter `emerge -avc`. Check all packages to make sure
50 you do not remove anything you still need, for example portage itself.
51
52 If you call `emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean <package>` (short:
53 `emerge -pvc <package>`), portage will print a list of packages that
54 depend on the package you gave as a parameter. This is more accurate
55 than for example `equery depends <package>`.
56
57 Hope this helps,
58 Florian Philipp