From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] installing gentoo using systemrescuecd and wifi
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 21:44:02
1 Hi group,
2
3 I posted the following at the sysrescuecd forum but I despair of ever getting a worthwhile answer:
4
5 I've got a tripleE 900A with 4G SSHD running Xandros and I want to use the sysrescueCD to install gentoo. But I have to be able to use the wifi driver(ATH5K). There's no problem connecting from Xandros but when I boot the USB key with rescueCD I cannot connect.
6
7 When the USB key boots one of the messages that flies past is "Setting up network". No, it doesn't, unless it means ethernet, which I don't have access to. When boot is finished I'm told to run net-setup. OK, I run
8 Code:
9 cat /proc/net/wireless
10 and find I'm using wanl0 and run net-setup which finds the right driver OK. Then I run
11 Code:
12 iwlist wanl0 scan
13 and it finds the wifi. So I use the info it finds, essid, channel etc in iwconfig eg
14 Code:
15 iwconfig wlan0 essid "Hot-spot name"
16 and so forth.
17
18 I've tried it at several places which are open and require no key. And at my own place where a key is required.
19
20 But it does no good I can't even ping a URL.
21
22 Can anybody help? I hate Xandros, it reminds me of Win98!
27 Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!
28
29 http://www.flickr.com/gift/