From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VB - login from one Windows XP to another XP
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 07:50:24
1 On 07/10/2014 07:12, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Monday, October 06, 2014 11:17:49 PM Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 10/06/14 21:22, Jc García wrote:
5 >
6 > > >2014-10-06 19:52 GMT-06:00 Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>:
7 >
8 > > >> I'm running Windows XP in VirtualBox.
9 >
10 > > >> I can NX to the running VB - Windows XP as (shadow or new) session.
11 >
12 > > >> But that doesn't help me.
13 >
14 > > >> Via "Shadow session" I would disturb the current user if I try to
15 > start
16 >
17 > > >> another program.
18 >
19 > > >> Via "New" session I can not see Windows XP session as it is running.
20 >
21 > > >>
22 >
23 > > >> So I think I have to start VB - Windows XP on my box and try to
24 > login to
25 >
26 > > >> another (remote) VB - Windows XP Is it possible?.
27 >
28 > > >>
29 >
30 > > >> The user is running certain program, that uses database. I'm trying to
31 >
32 > > >> login to the remote Windows XP session and start the same program
33 > as an
34 >
35 > > >> administrator (that uses that same database).
36 >
37 > > >>
38 >
39 > > >> How to log-in from one windows XP to another over the network?
40 >
41 > > >
42 >
43 > > >You search in google and do a ton of clicks, this is so OT. and there
44 >
45 > > >are many answers out here, even the unix-style one works.
49 > > Windows XP has a build in Remote Desktop but:
50 >
51 > > http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Windows-XP%27s-Built-in-Remote-Desktop-Utility
55 > > But I think it only works on the same subnet.
56 >
57 > As stated by others, this is way OT and Google should help here.
58 >
59 > RDC works over different subnets, even (if you're stupid enough to open
60 > the ports in the firewall) from a different country over the internet.
61 >
62 > MS Windows XP is NOT a multi-user OS, what you want to do might work,
63 > but is extremely flakey.
64
65 It is a multi-user OS. The problem is that the Remote Desktop Session
66 Host component is artificially restricted in non-server editions of
67 Windows, preventing concurrent sessions. Those so inclined can remove
68 this restriction with an unofficial patch that is fairly easy to find.
69
70 --Kerin