From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Firefox's "Connecting"
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:56:44
1 > > > > > Can anyone tell me what Firefox is doing when it says it is
2 > > > > > "Connecting" to a particular website? My site is periodically hanging
3 > > > > > at that point, and I'd like to track down the problem. Is it just
4 > > > > > waiting for apache2's first response to the HTTP request?
5 > > > >
6 > > > > No, Firefox is propably waiting for the TCP connection to be
7 > > > > established. Use something like wireshark or tcpdump to find out for sure.
8 > > >
9 > > > I was trying to login (via ssh) to a virtual server and it was taking ages (19
10 > > > secs or so). Apparently there was something wrong with the way the sysadmin
11 > > > had set up DNS. Once fixed I would be asked for a passwd with 1-2 seconds.
12 > > > It could be that something like this is wrong with your server?
13 > >
14 > > I'll check that out. Thanks guys.
17 > Try it with 'curl'
18 > ie:
19 > curl -v www.google.com
20 >
21 > If it doesnt find an IP, its a DNS problem, if it finds an IP but
22 > doesn't connect, it may be a routing problem, if it works for all
23 > sites, but not a particular site, that site might be broken, and
24 > 'curl' might be able to help you see where.
25
26 Thanks Kent. When I'm browsing my site and it hangs, I ping the
27 domain and the times are normal even though I'm having trouble
28 connecting at the exact same time. The pings are really slow in
29 coming back, but the reported times are normal. Does that sound like
30 a problem with apache2 then?
31
32 - Grant
33 --