From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I've been hacked.
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 19:28:40
1 >>>>> I nmap'ed one of my remote Gentoo servers today and besides the
2 >>>>> expected open ports were these:
3 >>>>>
4 >>>>> 1080/tcp open  socks
5 >>>>> 3128/tcp open  squid-http
6 >>>>> 8080/tcp open  http-proxy
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> I'm not running any sort of proxy software that I know of and I should
9 >>>>> be the only person whatsoever with access to the machine.  'netstat
10 >>>>> -l' doesn't show any info on those ports at all so I suppose it's been
11 >>>>> hacked as well?  I installed and ran 'rkhunter --check' (what happened
12 >>>>> to the chrootkit ebuild?) but it doesn't seem to be much use since I
13 >>>>> hadn't established a "file of stored file properties".
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> What do you guys think is going on?  What should I do from here?
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>>> What does lsof (I'd reinstall it afresh) show with regards to strange
19 >>>> users?
20 >>>> What users the above services run under.  If indeed they are not
21 >>>> legitimate
22 >>>> and you confirm that they are not being run as packages that you
23 >>>> installed,
24 >>>> then I'm afraid the only sane option is to reinstall.
25 >>>>
26 >>>
27 >>> Wow.  I'm actually seeing the same thing from other domains I nmap.
28 >>> Could my ISP have some kind of a weird environment set up that makes
29 >>> it look like there are ports such as these open on remote systems?
30 >>> Right now I'm on some kind of a shared connection where everyone has
31 >>> their own modem or router or whatever it is, but I think everyone's IP
32 >>> is the same.
33 >>>
34 >>> - Grant
35 >>>
36 >>>
37 >>
38 >> Hello,
39 >>
40 >> looks like, your ISP has a Transparent Proxy Setup running.
41
42 Should I be worried about that?
43
44 > Ports being shown as open does not mean that your machine is
45 > listening, more like the firewall has some holes in it.  If the
46
47 Really? I thought a service had to be listening for the port to be
48 open. So from nmap, there is no way to tell the difference between a
49 port that isn't blocked by a firewall and one that is listening?
50
51 > firewall is not configured/running on your server itself, then you may
52 > be alright.  Can you actually connect to your server using those
53 > ports?
54
55 If I enter the server's IP appended with one of the port numbers
56 listed above into a web browser, I get:
57
58 "tinyproxy 1.6.0
59 The page you requested was unavailable. The error code is listed
60 below. In addition, the HTML file which has been configured as the
61 page to be displayed when an error of this type was unavailable, with
62 the error code 14 (Bad address). Please contact your administrator.
63 Bad Request"
64
65 The thing is, I get the same thing from any domain I enter appended
66 with one of those ports.
67
68 > Have you tried telnet, or nc -v -z <your_host_name> <port> to see if
69 > they are open?
70
71 Can you tell me what package nc is included in?
72
73 - Grant