From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Eeek: many open ports
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:31:58
1 On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Eeek!!
4 >
5 > Just fooling around with some software on my laptop, I found that my Gentoo
6 > desktop has an even dozen open inet ports with something listening to them,
7 > in addition to the ones I would expect (25, 80 and so on).
8 > They are all in the range 32768-60000.
9 >
10 > Netstat agrees that they're open but does not disclose which process is
11 > listening.
12 >
13 > Does anybody know how to find this out?
16 I should add that they all disappear when I log off, and are not seen when I
17 log in as root, nor when I log in remotely. These could
18 (I hope so) be things that KDE is starting, but it seems like an awful lot
19 of listening ports. I have about 125 processes just for starting KDE, few
20 of which I understand, so I could use some help narrowing this down.
21
22 ++ kevin
23 --
24 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD