From: Ron Bickers <rbickers-list-gentoo-user@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SATA and RAID
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 05:04:54
1 On Wed September 21 2005 09:51 pm, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
2
3 > 1. For SATA RAID what cards and drives do you recommend for a desktop
4 > system running Gentoo. I will be doing some audio recording on a dual AMD
5 > 1.6 with 2 gig
6 > of memory
7
8 I'm running several Seagate 200GB drives with the SATA controllers on the
9 Intel 915G boards I have. The driver is included with the kernel (ata_piix)
10 and I've had no problems with it. Linux treats it as a SCSI device. If
11 you're buying a separate card, you might want to check around for
12 availability and stability of the drivers first.
13
14 In my experience, audio recording has relatively low hardware requirements
15 for today's machines, unless you're trying to do some heaving
16 encoding/compressing on-the-fly.
17
18 > 2. If I went with SATA how much does using software RAID and LVM hurt me?
19
20 That depends on what you mean by RAID (0, 1, 5, etc.) and what you want out
21 of it. I have two 200GB SATA drives setup with LVM's striping and the read
22 and write throughput is considerably faster (benchmarked and perceived) than
23 with one drive.
24
25 > 3. Anything else I should know?
26
27 Your choice of file system may make as much of a difference as anything.
28 Consider running tests if you aren't married to one already.
31 Ron
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list