From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to manage two different kernels/sets of modules & init scripts
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:16:43
1 On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 12:42 +0000, krgn wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I would like to be able to have different kernel versions installed
5 > (i.e. rt-sources, ck-sources, suspend2-sources)
6
7 easy (with a proviso... see below)
8
9 > and easily manage the
10 > startup scripts, modules,
11
12 semi-easy
13
14 > even configuration flies (xorg.conf)
15
16 time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. configuration
17 flies like ... dead configuration files?
18
19 > for each
20 > kernel. I am aware about initrd, but wonder whether it is possible to
21 > use it to have different run-level configurations etc.? does anyone have
22 > a good tip or two on this subject,
23
24 I suggest quickswitch. It's actually used for changing config files
25 based on different network locations, but you could easily adapt it (and
26 I did) for changing any files you want.
27
28 Basically, you have multiple versions of every file:
29 /etc/resolv.conf.home
30 /etc/resolv.conf.work
31 And quickswitch manages a symlink /etc/resolv.conf which points to the
32 right one depending on what it thinks you want.
33
34 > a link would be really cool!
35
36 how about http://engrish.com -it's funny and a good time-waster.
37 quickswitch however is in portage.
38
39 For your startup scripts, I would use different runlevels. Check out
40 the gentoo wiki, it's the "gentoo-way". Each grub line (assuming you
41 use grub) for each kernel can start it's own runlevel:
42
43 kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-suspend2 softlevel=suspend-sources-runlevel
44
45 kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-ck-r4 softlevel=ck-sources-runlevel
46
47 and so on.
48
49 Here's the proviso I mentioned earlier: some ebuilds that install 3rd
50 party kernel modules (ati-drivers, vmware, etc) may not work when you
51 change kernels. Don't ask me why, but I usually have to recompile these
52 ebuilds each time I change kernels, even if I've compiled for that
53 kernel on a previous boot.
54
55 HTH. It's late, so if I've left something out, let me know.
59 Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather
60 a new wearer of clothes.
61 -- Henry David Thoreau
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list