From: Boris Fersing <kernelsensei@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} GPG: pub & sec keys required to decrypt?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:59:00
1 On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 18:50, Matt Harrison
2 <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> It looks like I've imported a pub/sec keypair now. Should I remove
4 >> the public key for security? Maybe I misunderstood from the beginning
5 >> and having both keys on the same system isn't a security issue?
6 >>
7 >> - Grant
10 > It is still a security issue, but only as much as any other data on your
11 > machine. Physical access to the box, or being remotely hacked will
12 > always be a security risk.
13 >
14 > And yes, if someone does break in and copy your pub/sec keypair, they
15 > will have full ability to masquerade as you in signed and encrypted emails.
16 >
17 > You have to weigh it up for yourself really. Many, many keep pub/sec
18 > keypairs for their email on more than one machine. Of course it would be
19 > a lot of work for someone to compromise your system for your gpg keys,
20 > so your email would have to be of value to them.
21
22 It's always possible to generate a revocations certificate and store
23 it in a safe place (CD, usb key etc.)
24
25 http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/c14.html
26
27 regards,
28
29 Boris.
30 >
31 > Just my $0.02
32 >
33 > Matt
40 $ ruby -e'puts " .:@BFegiklnorst".unpack("x4ax7aaX6ax5aX15ax4aax6aaX7ax2 \
41 aX5aX8axaX3ax8aX4ax6aX3aX6ax3ax3aX9ax4ax2aX9axaX6ax3aX2ax4 \
42 ax3aX4aXaX12ax10aaX7a").join'