From: Mike Mazur <mmazur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choppy video playback
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 00:39:53
1 Hi,
2
3 On Jan 28, 2008 7:55 AM, ionut cucu <cuciferus@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:28:35 +0900
6 > "Mike Mazur" <mmazur@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > > Hi,
9 > >
10 > > On Jan 27, 2008 9:55 PM, ionut cucu <cuciferus@×××××.com> wrote:
11 > > > True as that is, is think it's kind a of the point. I have been
12 > > > using mplayer to see movies since k7-2(I think it as a k7-2 don't
13 > > > remember for sure). I've seldom got the error about CPU being to
14 > > > slow and always it was another reason for mplayer not being able to
15 > > > play it. I would rather say you should look in mplayer -vo help and
16 > > > try different drivers until you get the one it suites you. If you
17 > > > have a 3d card choose gl or gl2, if not xv. Also please check that
18 > > > you have setup preperly the graphics card.
19 > >
20 > > Ah yes you reminded me that I wanted to include my mplayer settings in
21 > > my original email. My /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf contains:
22 > >
23 > > vo=gl2
24 > > monitoraspect=16:10
25 > > mixer = hw:0
26 > > fontconfig=1
27 > > subfont-osd-scale=4
28 > > subfont-text-scale=3
29 > >
30 > > I have an nVidia graphics card in my laptop:
31 > >
32 > > # lspci | grep -i nvidia
33 > > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce Go 7700
34 > > (rev a1)
35 > >
36 > > I set it up by basically installing x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers,
37 > > currently I'm at version 100.14.19.
38 > <snip>
39 > I to am using the same version of it and using vo=gl2 on mplayer gets
40 > me a choppy playback. But vo=gl or xv works fine for me.
41
42 In my case, vo=gl2, vo=gl and vo=x11 all behave the same, with regular
43 pauses. xv is not listed when I type `mplayer -vo help`.
44
45 So doesn't this indicate that it's perhaps not mplayer itself causing
46 trouble, but rather something system-wide instead? Especially since
47 this regular pause also occurs while I type in text fields in Firefox.
48
49 Thanks,
50 Mike
51 --