From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Rebuilding an NTFS directory structure
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 22:33:30
1 On Saturday 09 January 2010 19:27:37 Stroller wrote:
2
3 > I _believe_ that if you leave the USB drive, with the corrupt
4 > filesystem, plugged in when the laptop boots, then during the boot
5 > process the `chkdsk` will be performed.
6
7 Unfortunately not. I was hoping so too, but when I tried it I got the same
8 BSoD. XP just will not run in the presence of this disk.
9
10 > I was not aware of `ntfsfix`, and have been of the opinion that the
11 > best way to repair a corrupt NTFS filesystem was to use `chkdsk`, this
12 > being MS's own tool for the job. If the `chkdsk` does indeed run
13 > during boot, I would probably do a second one, just to be sure. If you
14 > initiate `chkdsk` at the command line, instead of using the UI as
15 > described by Mick, you get some extra options. `chkdsk /?`
16
17 I haven't yet discovered any way of getting XP running with this disk
18 connected, more's the pity.
19
20 > The problem with dd_rescue (GNU ddrescue is better, if I am
21 > remembering the underscore spelling correctly) is that it will produce
22 > an exact image of the disk, with the filesystem intact and (in your
23 > case) still corrupt.
24
25 Indeed, that is what it does.
26
27 > However you might use this as a backup image of your starting point, to
28 > give you multiple chances at repairing the fs using different approaches.
29
30 Now I'm running out of space to store the data in.
31
32 Thanks all for the suggestions.