From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best filesystem for virtualized gentoo mail server - WAS: vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 09:51:46
1 On Sat, April 20, 2013 18:22, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Apr 20, 2013 10:01 PM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Thanks for the responses so far...
5 >>
6 >> Another question - are there any caveats as to which filesystem to use
7 > for a mail server, for virtualized systems? Ir do the same
8 > issues/questions
9 > apply (ie, does the fact that it is virtualized not change anything)?
10 >>
11 >> If there are none, I'm curious what others prefer.
12 >>
13 >> I've been using reiserfs on my old mail server since it was first set up
14 > (over 8 years ago). I have had no issues with it whatsoever, and even had
15 > one scare with a bad UPS causing the system to experienc an unclean
16 > shutdown - but it came back up, auto fsck'd, and there was no 'apparent'
17 > data loss (this was a very long time ago, so if there had been any serious
18 > problems, I'd have known about it long go).
19 >>
20 >> I've been considering using XFS, but have never used it before.
21 >>
22 >> So, anyway, opinions are welcome...
23 >>
24 >> Thanks again
25 >>
26 >> Charles
29 > Reiterating what others have said, in a virtualized environment, it's how
30 > you build the underlying storage that will have the greatest effect on
31 > performance.
32 >
33 > Just an illustration: in my current employment, we have a very heavily
34 > used
35 > database (SQL Server). To ensure good performance, I dedicated a RAID
36 > array
37 > of 8 drives (15k RPM each), ensure that the space allocation is 'thick'
38 > not
39 > 'thin', and dedicate the whole RAID array to just that one VM. Performance
40 > went through the roof with that one... especially since it was originally
41 > a
42 > physical server running on top of 4 x 7200 RPM drives ;-)
43 >
44 > If you have the budget, you really should invest in a SAN Storage solution
45 > that can provide "tiered storage", in which frequently used blocks will be
46 > 'cached' in SSD, while less frequently used blocks are migrated first to
47 > slower SAS drives, and later on (if 'cold') to even slower SATA drives.
48
49 4-tier sounds nicer: 1 TB in high speed RAM for the high-speed layer, with
50 dedicated UPS to ensure this is backed up to disk on shutdown.
53 Joost