From: Luis Gustavo Vilela de Oliveira <luisgustavo.vilela@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD configuration
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:53:28
1 Nice way to handle that. I only had problems with libreoffice.
2 But i mount the tmpdir ondemand, and when libreoffice needs update i use
3 the SSD instead.
4
5 I have 16GB too, and in general use 4GB for tmpfs on TMPDIR, i think only
6 some packages need more then that.
9 2012/11/26 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
10
11 > Luis Gustavo Vilela de Oliveira writes:
12 >
13 > Well, with 8Gb RAM, i recommend use tmpfs on PORTAGE_TMPDIR, just while
14 >> u are compiling anything.
15 >> Or even with 6Gb too.
18 > I have 16 GB, with 8GB for $PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs. There were issues
19 > with some packages having not enough space, so I have this in
20 > /etc/portage/package.env:
21 >
22 > app-office/libreoffice notmpfs.conf
23 > dev-java/icedtea notmpfs.conf
24 > games-fps/alienarena notmpfs.conf
25 > games-fps/worldofpadman notmpfs.conf
26 > games-sports/vdrift notmpfs.conf
27 > mail-client/thunderbird notmpfs.conf
28 > www-client/firefox notmpfs.conf
29 >
30 > /etc/portage/env.d/notmpfs.**conf has this entry, changing PORTAGE_TMPDIR
31 > to real HDD space:
32 >
33 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/portage/**tmp
34 >
35 > Most of these packages compile with 8 GB of space, but not with parallel
36 > merges, like when Thunderbird and Firefox are both being built at the same
37 > time.
38 >
39 > Alex