From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the value-added of journaling filesystems like ext4?
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 20:53:12
1 You need to run fsck repeatedly until it doesn't report any errors or *******file system modified******** messages before mounting!  you need to run it on all partitions.  Some errors hide under other errors but will show up on the next run.  It's not unusual to have to run fsck 2-3 times, I've had errors on the first 4 runs and had to run a 5th before it was clean (only once in 10+ years).  Don't forget root, you'll have to boot off another partition or external (i.e. thumb drive/optical) in order to properly clean root.  It's best to have a second copy of the O.S. on another partition for these cases, and as backup in case you mung the root directory/OS somehow.  Hopefully you haven't done permanent damage by mounting volumes that were not completely fixed, if you changed anything (or ran a program that does, like firefox etc.) you may have some permanent file loss or have to use a recovery tool to get back what's lost, after running fsck until it thinks the drive is fine.
2
3 -- “The whole world is watching! The whole world is watching!”
7 Nov 4, 2019, 13:40 by n952162@×××.de:
8 trying to restore ... virtualbox won't come up (I was in virtualbox when
9 my window manager lost mouse coordination and I hat to "reboot").
10
11 I see that many of the files in /lost+found have virtualbox strings in
12 them.  Anybody have an idea how to get them back to their proper places?