From: Charles Trois <charles.trois@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Bash prompt
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:19:39
1 Hello!
2
3 I am getting confused with profile, bashrc, etc.
4 The prompt string I want to use is
5
6 PS1="[\u@\h \W]\$ "
7
8 I therefore wrote it in /etc/profile (at two levels, root and non-root),
9 ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc.
10
11 If I log in as a plain user (moi), I get this:
12
13 [moi@sirrah moi]$
14
15 which is all right. But, if I log in as root, I get the basic default
16
17 bash-2.05b# .
18
19 I thought that /etc/profile should provide the default, but I was
20 obviously wrong. Trying to mend things, I created two files
21 /root/.bash_profile and /root/.bashrc, writing just PS1 in each. Now,
22 logging in as root, the result is
23
24 [root@sirrah root]$
25
26 which is wrong, since "$" appears in place of "#", as though my syntax
27 of PS1 were incorrect, but I don't see that it is.
28
29 How am I to clean up all this? I'll be grateful for all suggestions.
30
31 Charles
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list