From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 compatibility with modern cpus -- REBOOT OK THIS A.M.
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:02:04
1 On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:51 PM, <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I finally ran out of excuses to not reboot after a night powered off, and it did.
3 >
4 > It's all running normally now, but I think it's time for me to take the hint, grab a clue, and start researching a replacement.
5
6 I think you'll find the power consumption of modern systems absolutely
7 delightful compared to 8yo systems. I was amazed to see that
8 server-grade xeon CPUs can be had for ~250USD, with a 77W TDP. 5-6
9 years ago, my Phenom 9650 was a 120TDP part for almost that much when
10 not on sale. (Yes, I know Intel and AMD don't calculate their thermal
11 data quite the same way, but it seems comperable enough.)
14 :wq