From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symbols missing from Firefox
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 17:02:24
1 On Wednesday 01 Jun 2016 18:13:10 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 05:02:24PM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 01 Jun 2016 17:46:39 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
4 > > > On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 04:38:17PM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > > > Hello list,
6 > > > >
7 > > > > I have quite a few sites that firefox doesn't display properly. It
8 > > > > seems
9 > > > > to be short of some symbols. I've attached two screen shots; in the
10 > > > > first, the peculiar thing next to the text should (I think) be a broad
11 > > > > up-arrow; and the second shows some buttons from twitter which occur
12 > > > > in
13 > > > > many other sites too.
14 > > > >
15 > > > > Does anyone know what I'm missing?
16 > > >
17 > > > Do you use NoScript? If yes, does it allow webfonts?
18 > >
19 > > I should have said that the only extra I have is AdBlock Plus. Disabling
20 > > it
21 > > makes no difference. And your hint reminded me to install YesScript, which
22 > > also makes no difference.
23 >
24 > Have a look at the inspector (right-click the offending item, press q). I
25 > don't know whether FX 38 already had that, it's so hard to keep track
26 > noawadays with the ongoing version number inflation. On the right-hand side
27 > of the inspector there should be a Fonts tab which should show you a preview
28 > of the font being used.
29 >
30 > Did you always have this problem or is it new with this version of Firefox?
31
32 Peter has AdBlock on which interprets some of the icon fonts (e.g. FontAwsome)
33 used on some websites as adverts and blocks them. Disabling it and restarting
34 the browser (ought to) make it work. FF doesn't seem to have the same problem
35 with Google's icon fonts.
38 Regards,
39 Mick