From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 20:04:19
1 On Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:44:07 PM Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 27 Aug 2015 20:30:17 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2015-08-27, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > > >> For those of us with multiple Linux installations on a disk, that's a
6 > > >> pretty big reason to stick with grub-legacy.
7 > > >
8 > > > So you are saying (trying to read the 'tea leaves' here) that
9 > > > grub legacy ( grub-static-0.97-r12) will work well on a 64 bit systems,
10 > >
11 > > I still use it on all my 64-bit machines.
12 > >
13 > > > (u)efi with say multiple drives (> 2T) and Raid-1 configs like
14 > > > btrfs-native or via lvm?
15 > >
16 > > I haven't started using UEFI boot mode mode yet, so I don't know how
17 > > thetwo grub's compare.
18 >
19 > UEFI do not need GRUB{1,2} or any other boot manager. They can boot any
20 > kernel you drop in the EFI boot partition directly, as long as you set it up
21 > so. It becomes cumbersome if you are planning to multiboot various kernels
22 &
23 > OS frequently.
24
25 You do need a manager like efibootmgr unless you have a really good "bios" menu
26 where you can manage your entries. Only removable media is autodetected on all
27 EFI boxes I've seen. I use GRUB2 because my efi firmware (like most) is really
28 buggy. Changing the boot order doesn't work at all (neither on the menu nor
29 through efibootmgr), so I have to delete and recreate the entries in the right
30 order. What I did is create 2 efi entries, one for my main kernel and one for
31 grub2 and I added entries for all my secondary kernels and windows on the
32 grub2 menu.
35 Fernando Rodriguez