From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 17:37:10
1 On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 10:22 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > I was wanting to have a NAS that also puts video on my TV. That way I
5 > can turn off my puter and still watch TV. It would be as much a media
6 > system as a NAS. I have a mobo, ram and I think I have a extra video
7 > card somewhere. I'd need a case, power supply and such. I'd also need
8 > a place to put all this which is going to be interesting. I'd want
9 > plenty of hard drive bays tho. I found a fractal 804 case that caught
10 > my eye. Can't recall all the details tho.
11 >
12 > Still, needs money and right now, I got to many other coals in the
13 > fire. Plus, I'm trying to figure out this crypttab thing. From what
14 > I've read, it is for opening encrypted drives during boot up which is
15 > not really what I want. I can boot and login into my KDE without
16 > anything encrypted being mounted. Kinda like this new setup really.
17 >
18 > I'll be so glad when fiber internet gets here. I think I'm going with
19 > the 500Mb/sec plan. Costs about the same as my current 1.5Mb/sec plan.
20 > lol
21 >
22 > Dale
23
24 I believe all of that can be done on TrueNAS, and most likely with
25 any of the prepackaged boxes like Synology, but I've not do it myself.
26
27 Most modern flatscreens can access NAS servers and play video
28 and or music over the network so the NAS server itself
29 need not have a GPU. I did put a VGA in both of mine as building
30 them is easier, but it wasn't strictly necessary. TrueNAS can be
31 built on a headless machine if you know the IP address.
32
33 As for FreeBSD, they have 'jails' which I think are more or less
34 chroot environments, so you can put whatever MythTV is called
35 these days in a jail and run it from there. People do that with
36 DNS, network monitors and all sorts of things. (Assuming
37 you have enough compute power.)
38
39 No need to do any of this now. It's good that you're thinking
40 about solutions so that when the money comes along you'll
41 be ready.
42
43 Cheers,
44 Mark