From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:36:54
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > Yes, really. People boot a distro's live CD, maybe install it, and make
5 > quick decisions about whether they like it or not.
6
7 Thats a different opportunity/customer, than one that was a faithful
8 and loyal customer. You cannot treat those (new customers) like you treat
9 'an old dog' or you are going to loose customers, every time.
12 > > Note, I've use a myriad of qt
13 > > based open source and commercial products on embedded systems.
14 > > Those efforts do not mirror the "attide" of the KDE camp, you
15 > > espouse so well.
16 > I've no idea what you are trying to say here.
17
18 Sure you do, but I'll be simple here. KDE is built on QT. I have experince
19 with QT and dozens of embedded products that use QT. None of those products
20 resemble any sort of attitude, like KDE does. The bloated, poorly documented
21 latest features, lets force it on the entire userbase by default, mentality
22 does not exist in any of the QT based products I've been involed in. KDE's
23 problems are the result of poor decisions made unilaterally by the KDE
24 leadership, imho.
27 > > > Either run Konsole on LXDE or do wht you suggested the KDE devs do
28 > > > and run KDE with the eye candy turned off. The former is probably
29 > > > more sensible.
30
31 > > no thanks. Raw X is just fine for my needs, wants and desires.
32
33 > Like I said, but you seemed to ignore, run Konsole on LXDE to get all you
34 > need. I've found Konsole to be one of the best terminals out there,
35 > irrespective of whether you use KDE or not, although Terminology does
36 > look interesting.
37
38 The simple fact is I do not need a desktop enviroment that competes
39 with the applications I choose and set up to be flashy and featurerich.
40 That function is best left to the applications themselves, imho.
41
42 Also, I disagree; Konsole is wonderful, but I do not want anything with "K"
43 in it. Some of the postings below on this thread illustrate part of the
44 problem (walter et. al.) some of the issues were configuring the collection
45 of small config files under the ~./<user> section. I also found this little gem:
46
47 x11-terms/mrxvt : Description: Multi-tabbed rxvt clone with XFT,
48 transparent background and CJK support.
51 My current machine is so fast (only partially(mostly?) due to dumping KDE);
52 and i have yet to strip-small the kernel and overclock the processors.
53 After all, if you remember, you gave me some solid advise on the water
54 cooler setups, some time ago.
55
56 Alan's little script-kiddy-ricers motivated me a while back to take
57 another look at the ultimate ricer_kernel option. It's the simple
58 "-Os". Alan never even mentioned to his ricer offspring to try the "-O3"
59 option, as I think he want somebody else to send then on that odessy
60 of wasted time.
61
62 Now my puter, is skinny and getting ready to run hot with a
63 small kernal and an openbox looknfeel. It's got me so motivated; I am
64 actually waking up at 4am, just to play and shop for "size 2 bikini"
65 applications for my new girl! Going minimal has this old_dog happy and
66 howling at the moon again, on Friday nights......
67
68 You see in here Florida, we do rate, compare and (de)grade our computational
69 resources. Minimal is always sexy, particularly with *ware.
70 We are a gregarious lot and we do like to collect at the beaches to see
71 what's hot and what's not.....ymmv.
74 peace and good hunting,
75 James