From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for checking CDs and DVDs for errors?
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 02:16:55
1 On 03/12/2018 17:50, Dale wrote:
2 > Jack wrote:
3 >
4 > I was wondering if the checksums could be checked?  If the OP can find
5 > the checksum for the DVD as it comes from the factory, then he could
6 > check what he has against that.  Question is, is that info even
7 > available or does it vary over batches of DVDs?  If it varies, it may
8 > not be possible to test that way even if checksums are available.
9 >
10 > Just throwing that out there in case checksums are available and it
11 > could be done that way.  Sort of doubt it tho.
12
13 Checksums do exist. The Redump project is trying to collect all relevant
14 disc information for every video game ever made, basically.
15
16 http://redump.org/disc/57802/
17
18 The process to generate this information is very specific and requires
19 software that isn't made for Linux unfortunately. But the MD5, CRC32,
20 SHA1 is there which can be usually be checked with `dd /dev/sr0 |
21 sha1sum` for a basic disc.
22
23 PS1 and PS2 games can be checked without special hardware in this case,
24 but for others, specific hardware is required.
25
26 In my case I have a JTAG Xbox 360, so the best way for me to check a
27 game is to have my Xbox 360 dump the disc contents entirely with an app
28 that would not be available on a normal Xbox 360. If this fails at any
29 point it's a bad disc (or it needs cleaning/repair).
32 Andrew