From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: jamesbroadhead@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wicd will not connect to wireless network
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:28:08
1 On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:58:59 +0000
2 James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 26 February 2012 17:00, Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@×××.nu> wrote:
5 > > On Sunday 26 February 2012 13.43:13 Dan Johansson wrote:
6 > >> On Sunday 26 February 2012 10.52:58 Willie WY Wong wrote:
7 > >> >
8 > >> > You guys are almost certainly running into the same problem as
9 > >> > the one I mentioned in the thread I just started.
10 > >> >
11 > >> > Try `pkill dhcpcd` and associate again.
12 > >> >
13 > >> > Unfortunately I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden dhcpcd
14 > >> > decides to start on boot.
15 > >>
16 > >> Yes, that was it, killing the dhcpcd made it possible to bring the
17 > >> interface up and associate with the AP. As openrc was one of the
18 > >> packages upgraded yesterday (0.9.8.4 -> 0.9.9.1) I assume (guess)
19 > >> that is why dhcpcd gets started at boot. Now I just have to figure
20 > >> out a way to stop this from happening.
21 > >
22 > > The problems seems to be that dhcpcd was started automatically as
23 > > soon as a service needed "the network" - in my case dhcpcd was
24 > > started due to /etc/init.d/sshd. At the moment I have solved it
25 > > with putting "rc_dhcpcd_provide="!net"" in /etc/rc.conf which
26 > > prevents dhcpcd to start when sshd is started and wicd can now do
27 > > it's magic.
28 >
29 > Ah, I could really have done with this thread earlier, but gmail had
30 > decided that it was spam :-/
31 >
32 > What is strange is that it seems to work for some networks, but not
33 > for others, and I can't figure out how to predict on which dhcpd with
34 > succeed and on which it will not.
35 >
36 > I have access to three APs here (each with different SSIDs), and I can
37 > only connect to one of them; the other two have the dhcp failure. Very
38 > strange.
41 Yes, it gets curioser and curioser. I reported yesterday that
42 kernel-3.2.5 worked fine with openrc-0.9.9.*
43
44 Well actually it doesn't work fine, it's sorta flakey. Takes a while to
45 get a DHCP address on wireless, often drops the connection but is solid
46 on wired.
47
48 I added "provide net" to the depend() section of /etc/init.d/wicd and
49 all those issues went away. Still haven't tested on kernel-3.2.6 yet,
50 have too many things open that must stay open to be able to reboot
51 right now.
52
53 Whatever the root cause is, it's certainly not obvious.
54 --
55 Alan McKinnnon
56 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com