From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB freezes the machine...
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 17:45:19
1 On Monday 01 January 2007 10:01, "Richard Fish" <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] USB freezes the machine...':
3 > On 1/1/07, Marco Calviani <marco.calviani@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > If it useful, this is my lsmod:
5 > > ohci_hcd 21636 0
6 > > uhci_hcd 24648 0
7 > > ehci_hcd 33160 0
8 >
9 > I seem to recall that loading multiple USB controller drivers can
10 > cause problems on some systems.
11
12 I know my system (oddly enough) *requires* two different drivers, but that
13 might just be my particular pieces of hardware.
14
15 In any case, I think at least one of these is redundant.
16
17 > You might try unloading all of these
18 > with rmmod, then loading just one, and see if your drive will work.
19
20 Agreed.
21
22 > I
23 > believe for most systems the ehci_hcd driver would be the preferred
24 > one.
25
26 Depends on your chipset. I believe either lspci and/or lsusb should tell
27 you which driver(s) you need.
28
29 > Posting your dmesg output might also help.
30
31 Agreed.
34 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
35 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
36 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
37 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh