From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Trying to configure Radeon card
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 16:07:40
1 On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 14:28 -0400, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 14:51 +1100, Adam Carter wrote:
3 > > I use an xorg.conf, and have the following;
4 > >
5 > > Section "Files"
6 > > ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
7 > > ModulePath "/usr/lib64/opengl/xorg-x11/extensions/"
8 > > EndSection
9 > >
10 > > Your xorg cant find the dri and dri2 modules because its not looking
11 > > in the second directory.
12 > >
13 > > Also, it might be worth trying the latest driver, so
14 > > # echo "x11-drivers/ati-drivers ~amd64"
15 > > >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
16 > > Then emerge ati-drivers again.
17 > >
18 > > If that doesnt help, send the X11 log again after you've made those
19 > > changes.
20 >
21 > I made the changes above, and added the fbdev entry to VIDEO_CARDS from
22 > Nikos' e-mail.
23 >
24 > I also added fglrx to my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file.
25 >
26 > It's a bit overkill but next I did emerge -Dav system and emerge -Dav
27 > world before running emerge -NDuav system and emerge -NDuav world.
28 >
29 > I rebooted the machine, ran startx and it looks like success.
30 > I reinstalled xdm to the default runlevel, and I have a working graphics
31 > card. Thanks all for the advice.
32 >
33 > There are a couple of issues:
34 > (1) Even though the resolution is set to 1920 x 1080, it appears to be
35 > scaled so that it doesn't fill the entire screen. It is scaled to about
36 > 90% for some reason.
37 > (2) Compositing is not supported as it stands. I may need to switch
38 > that on in xorg.conf.
39 >
40 > Does anyone know how to fix the scaling issue or whether it is advisable
41 > should turn on compositing in xorg.conf?
42 >
43 > Jeff
46 In case anyone is suffering the same problem. I fixed the display
47 scaling issue.
48
49 The ATI Catalyst control center in KDE allows you to change the scaling
50 options. My display was set to about 7% underscaling in the display
51 manager DTV1 menu, on the adjustments tab. All I needed to do was move
52 the scaling slider all the way to the right, and the display scaled
53 perfectly.
54
55 Now, if only I could get compositing working :-/
56
57 Jeff