From: DK Smith <dks@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ld error clues sought
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:53:29
1 Hello,
2
3 Can anyone share their knowledge about ld errors, such as this one?
4
5 LD arch/x86_64/boot/compressed/vmlinux
6 ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file
7 `arch/x86_64/boot/compressed/head.o' is incompatible with i386 output
8
9 Perhaps there is something about the current configuration of my AMD box
10 that produces errors when compiling a linux kernel for a different arch?
11
12 To indicate the arch of the host I running: make.conf has march=k8, cpu
13 is "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+". The linux kernel currently
14 running is 2.6.18-*.
15
16 Any pointers to links that may explain when one needs to use the gentoo
17 cross compiler tools?
18
19 Liewise, any ideas when multilib is required? I tried modifying the USE
20 flags for gcc but it did not appear to change whol gcc would be built.
21
22 My goal is to compile a linux kernel 2.6.16-* for a Xeon based network
23 appliance. The config of that kernel specifies "Intel EM64T" arch.
24
25 I'm attempting to determine why this fails to build on an AMD Gentoo box
26 but yet the kernel will build without an error on a RHEL host with a
27 Intel processor. I'd like to determine what is different with the
28 respective toolchains.
29
30 Any suggestions?
31