From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 2006.1 install on AMD k-6 ?
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:48:58
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen <at> zlin.dk> writes:
5 > > The livecd is only for arch >= i686 (AMD-K6 isn't fully i686) so,
6 > > minimal-x86 + stage3-x86 is the way to go here.
7
8 OK, this was going to be my next attempt....
9 Confusing, because I have a Pentium Pro 200MHz that is
10 i686 (CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu")
11 with this info from /proc/cpuinfo:
12 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov
13
14 > Does this mean he can't use glibc-2.4? Or what should he do with CHOST
15 > (stage3-x86 sets it to i386...)?
16
17 Hmmm. Good point.
18 The Pentium Pro mentioned above is stopped during the upgrade of
19 glibc 2.4. It told me to add "nptl nptlonly" to the USE flags.
20 I did and issued 'emerge --resume". Hopefully this one makes it to
21 glibc-2.4 and gcc-4.1 ?
22
23 So what should I set as the CHOST for an amd-K6 arch machine?
24 Any other K6 settings I should select during the 2006.1 minimal CD
25 installation?
26
27 Anything any different in the make.conf file? ( O2, pipe, etc etc?)
30 A deeper question is should I plan on migrating my older machines
31 Pentium pro and amd k6 to another linux/bsd distro or will Gentoo
32 maintain a solution for these older arch's? Maybee Gentoo embedded
33 is the way to go with older arch's?
36 James
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list