From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser advice
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:11:31
1 On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 30 November 2006 10:22, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Dale wrote:
6 >>> used epiphany before. What's it look like?
7 >>
8 >> Have no idea, I didn't tried either. Being something from Gnome, I
9 >> suspect it's not very customizable, but I may be completely wrong.
10 >
11 > You can find more info here:
12 > http://www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/
13 > seems that it uses the gecko rendering engine, the same used by firefox
14 > and seamonkey (and can use the plugins too). Like many Gnome programs,
15 > it aims to be simple, easy to use and probably not very customizable (no
16 > flames, just my impression).
17 >
18 OK, so that's why it needs another browser.
19 >>> I think your problem is more about what server you are hooking up to
20 >>> when you go to google than what browser you are using. Google has
21 >>
22 >> But it happens _only_ in FF...
23 >
24 > For me, it happens with konqueror and (sic) internet explorer also.
25 >
26 > This page explains why:
27 > http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=873&topic=8995
28 No. My problem is not redirection. With Konqueror, it gets redirected
29 too, but my preferences are respected, i.e., although I'm connected to
30 google.pt it searches in the languages I selected in Google's
31 preferences. Not so with FF.
32 >
33 > As another poster said, the redirection can be avoided using the
34 > http://www.google.com/ncr address. The above page says that
35 > http://www.google.com/webhp should also work (I did not try it myself
36 > though).
37 >
38 All these links are usefull and will be kept, but they shouldn't be
39 necessary.
42 Jorge Almeida
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list