From: Fredrik Tolf <fredrik@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network connection repeatedly failing!
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 02:15:21
1 On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 11:47 -0400, Samuel Baldwin wrote:
2 > Also, does anyone know of a tool that allows you to play audio from a
3 > terminal? Basically, sending audio to standard audio out? I'd like to
4 > be able to listen to music (all .ogg and .mp3, if it makes a
5 > difference), while in runlevel 3. This is a side comment, and do not
6 > waste time answering this/looking it up if you don't know off hand.
7
8 My personal favorite is mpg321 (or ogg123 for OGG). Very efficient and
9 very customizable. Normally, it plays directly to your default libao
10 plugin (probably OSS or ALSA), but with the -s option, you can send raw
11 (headerless) 44100 kHz, 8 bit signed short audio to stdout for further
12 processing by e.g. sox. Call me a simpleton, but I often have lots of
13 fun with changing the playback sampling rate :)
14
15 mpg123 -vs somefile.mp3 | sox -t .raw -r 48000 -sw -c 2 - -t \
16 ossdsp /dev/dsp
17
18 Have fun,
19 Fredrik Tolf